Re: [dev] GSoC 2010

From: Chris Palmer <chris_AT_noncombatant.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:33:46 -0800

Kurt H Maier writes:

> > We need a desktop text indexing system that sucks less.
>
> grep

First of all, I had never heard of this program. It is so great! Wow! Thanks
for the suggestion! In 45 minutes when my query has completed, I'll buy you
a beer. I assume you prefer Coors Lite?

Second, the newly-discovered grep program is horrible bloatware. 78KB on my
system (the stali version will be larger due to static linking), when a
simple awk script would suffice for the same purpose? Man, the people
writing this new bleeding-edge software sure have no conception of the
beauty of simplicity that reigned in the old days.