Re: [dev] [dwm] number of tag limited?

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 15:32:12 +0100

On 5 August 2010 17:43, thuban <thuban_AT_singularity.fr> wrote:
> I was wondering too, if sometimes we can need 5 tags, another time, we
> could only need 1 tag (if you just want to check your e-mails as
> example). So, the other tags aren't useful at this moment.
> My question is, could you create tags only if they are needed (a window
> moved in, on drawn in), just like in wmii. I already had written this
> question, but no one semmed to know if it was possible to code.

One conclusion of my wmii effort which resulted in dwm was that
dealing with dynamic tags becomes tedious over time. Over and over
again one ends up creating the same kind of tags and these extra steps
seemed completely unnecessary. The observation was that a fixed tagset
with fixed keyboard combinations is a simpler idea and doesn't need
much thought when using the window manager.

If it's about bar real estate as others discussed, there might be some
justification in not drawing unoccupied tags, however I prefer the
concept that each tag is in a fixed place because it allows memorizing
the tag positions in mouse actions much more easily, which was a
common annoyance in the wmii concept if I think back. The tags quite
often where in different places and one needed to be more careful when
clicking a tag with the mouse, not so in dwm, I don't need to look at
the tags anymore when using the mouse, I know exactly where to click.

I think these are the tiny details that make dwm so appealing to some people.

Kind regards,
Anselm