[dev] [wmii] Crash, but where is core dump?

From: Tom Kazimiers <tom_AT_voodoo-arts.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:36:31 +0100

Hi,

from time to time I encounter a crash of wmii. It just happened and the
only thing I got is from the message log:

Feb 14 10:52:44 localhost kernel: wmii[1799]: segfault at 59 ip 0000000000419738 sp 00007fffc5fb1ff0 error 4 in wmii[400000+48000]

Probably not very helpful. I don't have much experience with gdb and
debugging crashed programs from core dumps. But from my understanding
the kernel should produce a core dump file on a crash. Unfortunately I
can't find one created and it might be the case that this isn't enabled
yet. From what I've read, I need to call "ulimit -c unlimited" to make
sure core dumps get produced, no? I've added this to my rc.local file
(arch linux here) and hope to be prepared for the next crash. Is there
anything else I should prepare?

Starting "gdb wmii" it tells me that there is no debug information. I'll
probably have to install an non-stripped wmii binary, haven't I?

In case it matters: I use the Ruby wmiirc of sunaku.

Thanks for some hints,
Tom