[dev] [ANN] sunaku ruby wmiirc - multiple instantiation of status bar applets

From: Suraj Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 21:35:59 -0800

Hello,

I'm happy to announce an exciting new development in my ruby wmiirc:
multiple instantiation[1] of status bar applets. To use this feature,
you simply define an extra "instances" key in your status bar applet
definition that contains an array of hashes (each representing an
instance of that status bar applet) that override the default values
in that definition --- thereby causing them to be (potentially)
different and independent from each other. Blah, that was a mouthful!

Here is an example to visually illustrate the new feature. Suppose
you wanted to instantiate the network applet for several interfaces
(eth0, wlan0, and tun0) each with different refresh rates (you can
specify any overrides you want inside a particular "instance hash", as
pointed out below):

  import:
    - display/status/network

  display:
    status:
      network:
        instances:
          - interface: eth0 # <== this is an "instance hash"

          - interface: wlan0
            refresh: 30

          - interface: tun0
            refresh: 5

          # and so on ...

I'll be reorganizing and updating the remaining status bar applets to
support multiple instantiation shortly.

Cheers!

[1]: https://github.com/sunaku/wmiirc/commit/495d22fb82fd259af63cfb51c78253e54a048f9b