[dev] [tabbed] problems with urxvt

From: jimmy frasche <soapboxcicero_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 18:29:13 -0800

I cannot get urxvt (9.10) to work with tabbed. I've tried the 0.3
release and tip. (Works perfectly well with xterm, at least in tip).

In the release, I can't get it to do anything, ctrl+shift+enter does
nothing. If I invoke tabbed with -d then embed urxvt into it THEN
ctrl+shift+enter works but the terminals are entirely blank--no
prompt--and clicking them furiously or swearing at them does nothing.

In tip, ctrl+shift+enter works fine for regular invocation or with -d
and manually embedding urxvt. But the terminals are still blank and
useless. Except now sometimes they are randomly not. Hitting ctrl-D
sometimes closes the terminal, after making sure the terminal itself
is focused by clicking it--doesn't always seem to gain focus
automatically. Sometimes if I close tabbed with tabs open one or more
of the terminals decided to pop out as regular windows and suddenly
become usable. When that happens tab emits something like this on
stderr:

tabbed: fatal error: request code=113, error code=2
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request: 113 (X_KillClient)
  Value in failed request: 0x3400006
  Serial number of failed request: 567

I haven't been able to discover any real pattern to any of this. It's
quite perplexing. The only bit I changed in any of tabbed's files is
setting spawn's .v = (char*[]){ "urxvt", "-embed", winid, NULL} in
config.h.

$ uname -a
Linux zenwalk 2.6.25.4 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 22 19:31:35 CEST 2008
i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux

here are the options to urxvt's configure (didn't touch feature.h) and
my relevant .Xdefault's:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=VPHn3wKy

I am ready to chalk this one up to ghosts and forget about it unless
anyone has any suggestions.