Re: [dev] hgweb typically sucks

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 14:33:14 +0100

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 02:23:56AM +0100, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> Looking at the list of "other projects" on suckless.org some catch
> my eye, so I click on them & get taken to a hgweb site. Okay, no
> problem so far, so I click on a file, micy's micy.c for example.
> Between the syntax highlighting and the crazy two-tone background my
> old eyes can't read it so I click raw... and I'm not allowed to view
> it in my browser!

That's essentially the fault of your browser, or the vaguely
specified nature of HTTP, if you want. `curl -I
http://hg.suckless.org/stali-toolchain/raw-file/e2f2828820b4/build/i386-linux-uclibc/include/a.out.h`
shows that hg is presenting it to the browser as:
Which means that the browser should display it. Yours
chooses not to, I presume, as it isn't confident about its
ability to display the filetype presented (e.g. text/x-chdr)

I'd blame the web more broadly ;-)

Certainly it's unfair to lay the blame at hgweb's feet.
Though I far prefer to just hg pull, and use my text editor
etc, even if it's just to satisfy my vague curiousity about
a file.