Re: [dev] Why dwm or wmii over xmonad, etc., or not?

From: Steve Ryan <gentleman.ryan_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:47:47 -0400

On 04/20/2011 10:27 AM, Eitan Goldshtrom wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> So I started using wmii a couple months ago. It was the first time I
> wasn't using GNOME and it's default stuff and I did so because a
> friend recommended wmii to me. So now I want to know what you all
> think. Why are dwm and wmii better than other tiling WMs? Or not? And
> what are your opinions of dwm vs wmii?
> -Eitan

The main reason I use wmii is because of it's ability to stack and tile
at the same time. Most of the time, I can't use a tiling manager since I
have such little screen space that if I had more then 3 programs running
I would never be able to see anything. Thankfully, stacking means I can
have multiple windows available and let my active window use the most
room possible and for tags (dynamic tagging being the other big reason I
use wmii) that usually hold 1 or 2 programs, such as my chat tag where I
keep my empathy contacts open and any current conversations, I can tile
it to view everything at once.

I use wmii instead of dwm simply because I like wimenu far better then
dmenu and wmii's integration with it is awesome. To me, wimenu feels
like an always available terminal while dmenu feels like an
(signifigantly) less awkward version of fluxbox's root menu.

-Steve