Re: [dev] [dwm] devilspie doesn't work

From: Kurt H Maier <karmaflux_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 16:12:37 -0400

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:04 PM, Al Gest <himselfe_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> You know what's great? freedom of choice. You know what sucks? People
> telling you what you're allowed to do with the software you use. Is
> this suckmore or suckless?

I'm not telling anyone what they're allowed to do. I'm telling them
what they're doing is stupid shit, and that founding principle of
suckless is basically sound.

> While I have no love for transparency given that the majority of
> transparency features in desktop environments are superfluous and
> counteract functionality, I also respect and support the right to
> freedom of choice. Being told how I should use the software I use is
> the exact opposite of the reason I turn to solutions such as suckless
> software.

That's a lot of words against an argument nobody made.

> You may hate transparency, and that is your opinion and choice, but
> berating other people for wanting to experiment isn't a constructive
> pastime. If people aren't free to experiment for themselves, how will
> they ever truly learn what works well and what doesn't?

I don't really care if you think my pastimes are constructive. People
who want transparent terminals are incapable of learning anyway.

> If people were obnoxiously stating that suckless software should have
> fancy fluff feature X implemented in vanilla then I could somewhat
> understand the vitriol, but I really don't see the point of foaming at
> the mouth and making yourselves look like complete jackasses every
> time the word transparency is merely mentioned.

Oh no, some guy on the internet takes mailing list discussions too
seriously! Now he thinks I'm a jackass! I guess I'll cry myself to
sleep on this huge pile of don't give a shit I've amassed.

--
# Kurt H Maier