Re: [dev] wmii + ruby 1.9.3 = no power woes!

From: David Tweed <david.tweed_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 09:36:07 +0000

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com> wrote:
> On 08/11/2011, Suraj N. Kurapati <sunaku_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought Suckless folks were enthusiastic about Plan9 technologies;
>> has this changed?  If so, why?
>
> Appreciative, not necessarily enthusiastic. Plan 9 technologies have
> their place, but it's very tempting to use them everywhere. I don't
> believe 9P belongs in an X window manager.

I know I subscribe to something slightly different to the current
suckless viewpoint on software but FWIW...

My view is that the plan 9 technologies are attractive if and only if
they're used everywhere: if a pseudo-filesystem interface was
pervasive it would avoid the "learn another new language/technology
tricks/etc for this task" and the problems like combinining
responsiveness with low idle CPU usage would probably be solved. In
contrast, there's little incentive to dig into 9P, and even less into
IXP, precisely because so little stuff uses them.

--
cheers, dave tweed__________________________
computer vision researcher: david.tweed_AT_gmail.com