Re: [dev] [st] 0.2 is out

From: Benjamin R. Haskell <suckless_AT_benizi.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 10:25:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012, ilf wrote:

> On 02-08 09:39, Benjamin R. Haskell wrote:
>> rxvt-unicode uses the wonderful optimization of not really caring
>> whether everything gets displayed.
>
> I don't know if every one of those output lines is rendered on screen once.
> But it doesn't need to, since I can't read it anyways, no matetr if it takes
> 1, 3 or the 28 seconds takes here.
>
> What's more important is that everything is in the scrollback, which always
> seems to be the case, even in rxvt.
>
> (Although I consider this bad style. If you really need 10k lines and want to
> look at them, that's what less is for.)

I agree it's bad style. Often it's unintentional (`find` on too broad a
path, very verbose Makefiles).

> So I don't see the problem with rxvt's way of things. Why not do it?

As Aurélien pointed out, `st` at least behaves similarly (if not
identically). Didn't realize what hg rev I was on on that machine.
Prior test was w/ 187. With current non-xft tip (rev 228), I get
similar results: 0.2s wall time.

--
Best,
Ben