Re: [dev] Wayland

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 10:38:02 -0500

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 04:15:54PM +0100, Bernhard Leiner wrote:

> I attended the talk and as far as I understood it, the Weston
> reference compositor will provide some kind of interface that can be
> used by alternative window managers. There was a question in that
> direction at the end of the talk.

I'm sure there will be shitloads of interfaces that can be used, and
once again 90% of software released will require certain parts of
wayland and ignore others. As far as I can tell the only positive thing
anyone has to say about wayland is "it isn't X."

I'm not entirely sure it's worth trading network transparency for
ground-floor compositing... but hopefully we'll at least get some video
drivers out of it that work without x11.

Oh, and it only works without x11 on linux. Hooray. (I know someone
will say "but that's just weston! someone could implement wayland on
any platform!" but all that means is we have another set of software
like gnome and everything poettering ever wrote, where linux usually
works and every other posix system is an also-ran.)

In short, wayland manages to push everything including rendering onto
the client, which means it's just going to get harder to write graphical
programs without a toolkit. I regard this as a major flaw; this
'design decision' can only be the product of either laziness or poor
judgment. If you're going to write a gui, at least have the sack to
write a whole gui.