Re: [dev] situ — change files in situ

From: Connor Lane Smith <cls_AT_lubutu.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 16:55:21 +0100

On 13 April 2012 16:37, Strake <strake888_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> True, if we trim the start and finish lazily

That depends on the diff format. diff -e, for example, could work well.

> but worst-case diff
> algorithm space usage is worse — quadratic, if I'm not mistaken.

That's true. Although, diff is worst-case quadratic in the number of
lines, not bytes. And the fact is the worst-case can be avoided: we
don't really *need* the longest common subsequence, only an
approximation to it. If we exceed some threshold we can simply
'plump'.

To be clear, I don't mean to dismiss either existing situ, this would
just be nice to have as well.

cls