Re: [dev] [dwm] dual screen issue - windows not starting in current monitor

From: Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 18:28:47 +0200

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:48:16PM -0400, Lee Fallat wrote:
> I have been recently using dwm with two screens, and it doesn't allow
> me to start programs on another screen other than the one that is
> claimed to be 'primary' (which I specified in nvidia-settings). The
> 'blue bar' follows what screen my mouse is on, and dmenu starts on the
> current screen too, but programs spawned with alt+shift+enter or dmenu
> are spawned in the 'primary window' .
> Here is the irc log for further details:
> [1]http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=WV2LqwQp
> If there are any questions, please ask!
>
> References
>
> 1. http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=WV2LqwQp

cleaning up my own dwm patches here, I have patched dwm to take the current
monitor index, because the software does not keep track of these things
anywhere else.

dmenu patch [1] against current tip 487 -- makes dmenu take a cli argument
about what screen it is supposed to use. said screen will be inherited by the
started application unless otherwise specified by a rule.
dwm launcher function [2] against current tip 1599 that passes the current
monitor accordingly. I hooked it up with a key combo.

patches to your terminal emulator would be possible likewise.

cheers!
mar77i

[1] http://ix.io/2iR
[2] http://ix.io/2iS