Re: [dev] [surf] port for gtk3

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:11:14 -0400

On 19 June 2012 09:48, Luis Anaya <papoanaya_AT_hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Pretty close: I use Slackware.
>>
>> I am wondering if there are any advantages to using gtk3?
>
> My 2 cents... without any support material.
>
> 1. The biggest motivation would be library support going forward if the
> gtk2 libraries get deprecated.

Yes, I still have Qt3 and GTK1 on my systems :-) in fact they work
quite well for the applications that use them! I would say most
systems will still have gtk2 in 3-4 years.

> 2. I am not sure if there are any performance improvement in
> execution. My gut feeling is that it will not matter much.

My feeling is that GTK3 is probably slower, though I don't have any
meat to back it up with. Though, it could be better because they're
removed a lot of deprecated crap (while adding more crap)

> 3. Considering that the GTK1 libraries were being delivered for a long
> time after the GTK2 ones were available in Linux distros, I would expect
> a long phasing time for these as well.

What about using and IFDEF for GTK2/3 stuff? I work on a terminal
emulator called svte [0] that was originally written for GTK3. Support
for GTK3 is a small patch, consisting of some basic renaming of GDK
keysyms and some other semantic stuff. It's not very suckless but
supporting GTK2 and GTK3 is realistic.

All of that, to say - we cannot (and I don't think anyone does)
pretend that surf's underlying core doesn't suck - glib is a
nightmare to work with and Qt isn't much better. the whole g-blob is
terrible, but we wrap it up and pretend it is pretty. I sometimes wish
that there was a suckless widget set that worked well but only did
that - widgets. Then it would be fun to port webkit to that widget set
:-) ... anyway i'll stop tangenting.

Calvin

[0] http://code.google.com/p/svte