Re: [dev] I'm back

From: Anselm R Garbe <garbeam_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 11:10:53 +0100

On 18 November 2012 07:00, Jens Staal <staal1978_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> lördagen den 17 november 2012 14.50.23 skrev Kurt H Maier:
>> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 06:20:03PM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
>> > sta.li
>> > ------
>> > To me archlinux was a good distro until a couple of years ago.
>> > Nowadays it seems to be very en vogue and thus has degraded quite
>> > significantly in terms of simplicity. I'm not aware of any distro that
>> > would come close to the radical goals of stali, thus this is the real
>> > effort suckless.org must work on. I believe that the Android core as
>> > a base system is the best platform to base sta.li on.
>>
>> crux linux might have some useful approaches. I don't understand the
>> decision to use android crap like bionic when musl has come so far so
>> quickly.
>
> I agree with this. As an example distribution, Sabotage does things pretty
> well. One detail that I like a lot (but it sort of depends on your stance on
> symlinks) is the way applications usually are placed in it:

I'm suggesting the Android core as this the environment I'm quite
familiar with. I'll investigate if linux+musl would be a better fit,
as I'm not totally tight to the Android core. But judging from the
fact that Android is already on >500 million devices I would say that
its core is quite well tested. And obviously it comes without the
systemd dependency.

> Each application gets its own directory under /opt and then installed files
> get symlinks in / (the file system hierarchy is stali-inspired with everything
> in root and usr just pointing back to root).

I'll talk to Christian at the next Stammtisch to refresh my knowledge
about sabotage ;)

Best regards,
Anselm