Re: [dev] I'm back

From: Felix Janda <felix.janda_AT_posteo.de>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:10:45 +0100

On 11/18/12 at 07:00am, Jens Staal wrote:
> I agree with this. As an example distribution, Sabotage does things pretty
> well. One detail that I like a lot (but it sort of depends on your stance on
> symlinks) is the way applications usually are placed in it:
>
> Each application gets its own directory under /opt and then installed files
> get symlinks in / (the file system hierarchy is stali-inspired with everything
> in root and usr just pointing back to root).
>
> For me, this is a nicer solution than for example pacman to keep track on
> which files that belong to which package (no fragile databases needed). I am
> also happy to report that dmenu/dwm works nicely on Sabotage (however, it
> seems like some of the xlibs can not be linked statically).

djb had a similar idea with his slashpackage system. It doesn't seem to have
caught on much, tough.

> What I have noticed lately is however how much of the broken stuff that are
> expected to build also relatively fundamental technologies. For example, mesa
> (which is needed if one ever wants to run wayland instead of X) expects
> libudev to build, and if the version requirements will increase further that
> will basically force systemd on peopole.

There are at least two forks of udev making it again standalone. (They are very
likely going to be merged.)

https://bitbucket.org/braindamaged/udev
https://github.com/gentoo/udev-ng

If enough people have interested in having systemd free systems it will be
possible. Altough it might get more and more difficult when more programs start
using systemd's services.