Re: [dev] I'm back

From: Jens Staal <staal1978_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 07:00:23 +0100

lördagen den 17 november 2012 14.50.23 skrev Kurt H Maier:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 06:20:03PM +0100, Anselm R Garbe wrote:
> > sta.li
> > ------
> > To me archlinux was a good distro until a couple of years ago.
> > Nowadays it seems to be very en vogue and thus has degraded quite
> > significantly in terms of simplicity. I'm not aware of any distro that
> > would come close to the radical goals of stali, thus this is the real
> > effort suckless.org must work on. I believe that the Android core as
> > a base system is the best platform to base sta.li on.
>
> crux linux might have some useful approaches. I don't understand the
> decision to use android crap like bionic when musl has come so far so
> quickly.

I agree with this. As an example distribution, Sabotage does things pretty
well. One detail that I like a lot (but it sort of depends on your stance on
symlinks) is the way applications usually are placed in it:

Each application gets its own directory under /opt and then installed files
get symlinks in / (the file system hierarchy is stali-inspired with everything
in root and usr just pointing back to root).

For me, this is a nicer solution than for example pacman to keep track on
which files that belong to which package (no fragile databases needed). I am
also happy to report that dmenu/dwm works nicely on Sabotage (however, it
seems like some of the xlibs can not be linked statically).

What I have noticed lately is however how much of the broken stuff that are
expected to build also relatively fundamental technologies. For example, mesa
(which is needed if one ever wants to run wayland instead of X) expects
libudev to build, and if the version requirements will increase further that
will basically force systemd on peopole.

I am starting to think of this as the Fragile X syndrome, which usually refers
to a genetic disease causing mental retardation (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragile_X_syndrome ). I am starting to feel that
Linux is having a serious case of its digital variant.