Re: [dev] Minimal distributions

From: Hadrian Węgrzynowski <hadrian_AT_hawski.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 22:45:54 +0100

Dnia 2012-11-23, o godz. 19:53:36
Hugues Moretto-Viry <hugues.moretto_AT_gmail.com> napisał(a):

> Hi there,
>
> Just because I'm really curious, I'm searching minimal GNU/Linux
> distributions with the following options:
>
> - x86_64 architecture
> - minimal installation
> - no default Desktop Environment
> - rolling release
>
> Someone talked about another distrib' on a previous subject, but I
> cannot find it.
> You can tell me I should use Google instead of asking you, but I had
> many foolish or similar results. What interests me, it's your opinion.
> No need to talk about Gentoo, Slackware or Debian, I already know
> those distributions.
>
> Regards

What you want most probably does not exist. I'm quite sure that
you've seen Wikipedia list of rolling release distros [1]. But somehow
you aren't convinced. As seen previously in such threads there will
be no helpful conclusions. You can prepare for: "everything sucks", "you
suck" or "make your own".

Do you want minimal installation as in minimal installation and big
available software repository or as in minimal installation and not
much more? If the former you already know that you can choose
only from derivatives of popular distributions. If the latter can you
really expect satisfactory rolling release model?

You want "our" opinion, but there is "No need to talk about (...)".
Maybe there is not a lot more to say then?

GNU/Linux distribution that you would like does not exist (yet?).

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release#Rolling_distributions:_examples