Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 16:47:20 +0100

> if we're going to change vcs just to change, why not move back to darcs
> or something? I'm still waiting for anyone to make any kind of case for
> changing to git other than "lots of people use it."

I don't matter if the repositories change or not, I am using git now, but if
you want some reasons I am going to give you some of then:

    - History rewriting: git rebase or git filter-branch
    - Mail workflow support: git am, git format-patch or git email.
    - Incremental commits: git add -i, git checkout -f.
    - A diary of tip references: git reflog (this features saved my life a
      lot of times).
    - Temporal changes: git stash.
    - Be scriptable: git has a low-level set of commands that allow build
      any operation you need using a shell script : git commit-tree, git
      cat-file, git ls-tree ...

There are others reasons, like for example the speed changing between
branches, but they are not important in suckless projects.