Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:50:08 +0100

[2012-11-26 16:47] "Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>

> [...] but if
> you want some reasons I am going to give you some of then:
>
> - History rewriting: git rebase or git filter-branch

(btw: That's the worst feature a version control system can offer.)

> - Mail workflow support: git am, git format-patch or git email.
> - Incremental commits: git add -i, git checkout -f.
> - A diary of tip references: git reflog (this features saved my life a
> lot of times).
> - Temporal changes: git stash.
> - Be scriptable: git has a low-level set of commands that allow build
> any operation you need using a shell script : git commit-tree, git
> cat-file, git ls-tree ...
>
> There are others reasons, like for example the speed changing between
> branches, but they are not important in suckless projects.

Why do people, even on this list, argue with the presence of features?
You should argue with the *absence* of features!

If, for instance, branches are not important to suckless projects, we
should be looking for a VCS *without* branch support.

(Actually, DVCSs don't need branch support at all as branching is part
of the nature of distributed version control, in cloning the repo.
Why would one want a second type of branching built in if this function
is already available for free?)

meillo