Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: chris hall <followingthepath_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:03:31 +1300

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:50 AM, markus schnalke <meillo_AT_marmaro.de> wrote:
> [2012-11-26 16:47] "Roberto E. Vargas Caballero" <k0ga_AT_shike2.com>
> > - History rewriting: git rebase or git filter-branch
> (btw: That's the worst feature a version control system can offer.)

I disagree, IMO this is one of the most useful features of a vcs.
This isn't usually rewriting history on a global scale (that is
possible, but usually very dangerous) but instead only altering my
local and unpushed commits.

I use this for 2 different workflows:
In one I have a WIP commit that I add to every time I am closer, and
then break this up before pushing.
The other I instead make a commit every time I get a step closer, and
then squash them into logical commits before pushing. This gives me
version control within an individual feature, although I guess you
could achieve the same thing with branches and manually cping files
around.

I find a vcs constraining if it doesn't allow me the use of these
workflows, YMMV

Cheers,
~cjh