Re: [dev] [suckless] Migration to git

From: Kurt H Maier <khm-suckless_AT_intma.in>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 11:33:58 -0500

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 05:29:23PM +0100, Roberto E. Vargas Caballero wrote:

> I am going to stop this discussion because I think we will not gain anything
> with it, but it is very funny that people here use the word 'complex' in some
> religious way, and the things that they don't like directly are marked as
> complex, without explaining why.

I've explained to you why it's complex. It's a truly massive piece of
software, and when I install it on my laptop there are more git-*
commands placed in /usr/bin than *all other binaries on my computer*.
It's three hundred thousands lines of code spread across eight
programming languages, and pretending it's 'simple' because it's broken
into a hundred binaries is completely retarded. None of those binaries
function independently at all; they all require some subset of the other
hundred binaries they ship with.

*You* have made the effort to understand all this crap, and I'm sure you
consider your life to be improved thereby. But that does not indicate
that this arabesque monstrosity deserves pride of place on every other
person's computer.

Thanks to cinap's hgfs work, I *understand* hg's on-disk format, and I'm
not entirely sure there's any one person who understands all of git.
It's like c++: "everyone agrees it's safe to use, but nobody agrees on
which 10% is the safe part."