Re: [dev] [surf] [patch] Don't load favicon.ico

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:34:04 +0100

Greetings.

On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 13:34:04 +0100 Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2012 at 07:58:19AM +0100, Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> > I can’t apply this patch. It’s living on the assumption that favicons
> > will end in »favicon.ico«. Really blocking the favicon would require
> > to use the situation of webkit, where it really does that blind request
> > for the favicon.ico. Your solution will block every URI ending in
> > »favicon.ico«.
>
> Well webkit is making the assumption that there may be a
> favicon.ico, and requesting it. Future versions may think better of
> this, but for now they aren't, and I think overriding this
> particularly stupid behaviour is fine.

The patch is now in surf, but it is searching for »/favicon.ico«. This
should work too.

But this patch adds the hook that would allow easy adblocking. :D What’s
just needed is a stripped down regexp list that can be compiled into
surf. If the benchmark is fast enough it should be good to go.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann