Re: [dev] [st] windows port?

From: Martti Kühne <mysatyre_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 15:03:34 +0200

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Alexander Sedov <alex0player_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I see nothing wrong in providing technical support for money. (And
> user-friendliness too). It's like taking advice from doctor: you pay
> for visit, although it seems that he has not done much. You pay him
> for the fact that he knows better than you. (Although Apple guys
> actually fix your stuff, eliminating the need to go to farmacy).

This. Knowledge and money do not correlate where I come from - how
else can those biggest idiots be so successful in capitalism?
Money in more ancient times was about trust, and you pay him because
you trust him with your health. So the doctor has, in that sense, as
much responsibility for your health as you pay him, except his taking
responsibility does not mean he can solve your health problem.

Yes, apple do a comparably good job at taking responsibility and,
obviously, and then responding to issues. But in the case of M$
Windows, you pay for a system that will likely abuse your cpu and
bandwidth for cyber crime and spyware which must be such a profitable
business that they are probably funding M$ by now, keeping up the
fishy business just a wee longer. Thanks to windows 8 the dark age may
finally have ended - when "no one" using this shit any more may become
true.

> If you can't bear the fact that somebody can know better, well, sucks
> to be you. To me, your mail is just another sign of elitism. "People
> are so fucking stupid, they can't use broken software! Come on, spend
> five years, learn something about computers!"
> Go tell your mom she needs to learn shit about Linux kernel, next time
> it breaks. Or that she needs to switch from Windows to OpenBSD because
> it's somehow better. You won't do this, right? So stop being a zealot.
> It does not suit you well.

The first question you need to answer yourself is what are your
priorities. I'm currently working for non-engineers and have to
struggle for my sanity sometimes from all the FUD and need to find
something fun to tinker with. RADs are a great idea to work WITH,
except for the poor guy who needs to work AROUND them - and that's the
spot where code use, code reuse and code abuse will ever be done
wrong, just because Excel is good enough for a 3d rendering engine,
not many people have been using it as such. I guess Excel could boot
linux, if you ask it nicely enough. If you work with computers you'll
write programs that are useful and may use the subset of the features
an OS and an environment provides you with. The point is, how hard is
it for a programmer to write an alarm script based on cron and his
favorite music player, and then, exactly the opposite happens when you
switch the target audience, how in the world can you let a non-savvy
do that. Then we obviously need more .NET

Stop asking the question in a way that requires .NET. Well, and then
there is scratch, obviously [1]. Where again, most people will give up
on scratch when they can't make things work like they have in mind,
because they just don't care to think about all the edge cases and
details they suddenly have to take care of.

cheers!
mar77i

[1] http://scratch.mit.edu/