Re: [dev] rio for linux

From: Christoph Lohmann <20h_AT_r-36.net>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 09:21:32 +0200

Greetings.

On Wed, 01 May 2013 09:21:32 +0200 Sam Watkins <sam_AT_nipl.net> wrote:
> I don't love X11, and I'm wondering if anyone has ported or made anything
> in the sprit of rio / 9wm to run on top of Linux framebuffer. I realise
> rio relies on Plan 9 dynamic namespaces and such, but we might be able to
> do something similar on Linux.
>
> Would this be worthwhile, or not?

For now all the monkeys are jumping on the wayland train. If the big
graphic driver vendors follow this path then it would be worth to ex‐
plore wayland first and look at how this compositor model can be used
like a framebuffer.

Wayland looks in its current state like a misdesigned wonderland de‐
signed to adapt to frameworks and to make GUI designers (monkeys!) hap‐
py.

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann