Re: [dev] Re: Why HTTP is so bad?

From: Strake <strake888_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 23:55:29 -0500

On 24/05/2013, Random832 <random832_AT_fastmail.us> wrote:
> On 05/24/2013 07:13 PM, Strake wrote:
>>> And you spend a day on wikipedia or tvtropes and you've got two hundred
>>> HTML viewers open?
>> Yes.
>
> I meant as opposed to the usual dozen.
>> The viewer sends a "go" message back to the fetcher, which kills the
>> old viewer and loads the new one, and can keep a URL log.
>>
> So the fetcher (which presumably also has UI elements such as an address
> bar, back/forward button, etc)

Such functions, yes.

> is the monolithic browser I described.

If that's what you meant, yes. I just meant the fetcher-viewer integration.

> How exactly is this different from the current model? That the two
> components communicate via IPC rather than an in-process API?

Yes. Thus I can easily swap out any component, or insert mediators
between components. For example, I could write my own fetcher to scrub
the HTTP headers, or block ads; and I wouldn't need plug-ins to view
PDFs or watch movies.