Re: [dev] Re: Why HTTP is so bad?

From: Random832 <random832_AT_fastmail.us>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 09:07:46 -0400

On 05/25/2013 12:55 AM, Strake wrote:
> Yes. Thus I can easily swap out any component, or insert mediators
> between components. For example, I could write my own fetcher to scrub
> the HTTP headers, or block ads; and I wouldn't need plug-ins to view
> PDFs or watch movies.
Why is the requirement that it conform to your IPC protocol* less
onerous than requiring it to conform to a particular in-process API that
would make it a "plug-in"?

*which has to handle navigation on both ends, A] what happens when you
click a link in your viewer and B] what happens to your viewer when the
user navigates away from it. Also, is the browser required to download
the whole file before opening the viewer, or can for example a PDF
viewer display the first page before the last page is downloaded? Also
for large files (highly relevant to a movie viewer) with a file format
that allows it, you could take advantage of range fetching, but in both
of these cases the viewer has to speak HTTP and just be told a URL by
the navigation component.