Re: [dev] I'm back

From: Carlos Torres <vlaadbrain_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 14:52:40 +0000

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 8:41 AM, hiro <23hiro_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> then simply don't use pure 64bit, why did you think that was a good idea?

when i hopped on the pure 64 band wagon i "assumed" that the x86 packages
would have been rebuilt for pure 64 eventually... that was a big mistake on my
part.

> it's a feature (tm). works like intended.

Yeah, its a feature i like. Maybe i'm just complaining about the lack of
packages for pure 64 :p, again i figured there was a community of pure64
users that were contributing packages (slower but eventually - not true)

> Just proves you have no taste.

I tried other browsers before i went the with webkit/surf on this system,
i did most of my work with lynx, i tried opera, links2, w3m etc... none of
which anyone else was using on pure 64 :p (goes back to my initial bad choice)

>> I now cringe at the thought of rebuilding any suckless tool on
>> tinycorelinux for any
>> simple tweak.
>
> Granted, the everything-is-in-ram approach requires you to use special
> procedures to properly install anything. For many things that's too
> much of a trade-off.

its a pretty big one.

> I exploit this to make sure I don't have too many libraries installed
> so that autohell tools will build against the least amount of
> dependencies possible (without first having to find the right
> configure switches to manually turn features off).

yes, i really enjoy the boot speed of tinycorelinux with the least deps for
wifi, dwm (et. al.) , surf, acpi; but when i boot into this system its
because i
want to develop something, and so i always end up loading the rest of the
world to build stuff. and i forget api's all them time, of which i end up using
manuals for (which surely you've noticed everyone purposefully strips them
out of packages (i do it too)...