Re: [dev] portable photoshop-like lite application based on C?

From: Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:48:58 +0000

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 05:54:11PM +0100, patrick295767 patrick295767 wrote:
> Gimp on Linux is rather ok, but on Linux, the portable version and the
> 2.8.10 are very slow, which limits drastically the use.
>
> On an usb installation, gimp might be quite slow, unfortunately.

You're running gimp from a USB stick? Why is that? Or are you
running it on some horrible shared Windows terminal thing?

I actually like gimp quite a bit. It works really well, and given
the flexibility it has it doesn't have too excessive dependencies
(most of those listed from your screenshot are just dependencies of
gtk). Obviously it's far from perfect, and could suck less, but I
really doubt it would be easy to code up something like that, that
still worked well.

There are other simpler free image editors out there, depending on
what you need, mtPaint being the one I can remember off my head.

As others have mentioned, imagemagick can do amazing things, but for
a lot of usecases it's a pretty slow and difficult way of working.