Re: [dev] wswsh: a mksh web framework

From: Nicholas Hall <ngharo_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 11:47:43 -0600

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Ryan O’Hara <rninty_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Jekyll seems pretty decent to me. What is there to object to? Markdown and Ruby?
>
> The rest of the things you mention don’t have much to do with offline
> website generation. They’re just languages that compile to other
> languages. Jade, especially, is the absolute opposite of a “static
> content” language.

Jekyll is pretty decent at what it does, I just feel that it is far
too overly complex for what it does and is akin to a 10-in-1 fisher
price toy. Comparing to this project it seems Jekyll has a couple
"advantages" like variables in templates (sed), development tools
(start a webserver), build utils (create a Makefile). This is bloat
to me. I feel like "web 2.0" developers don't understand the basics
and rely on these magic all-in-one tools too much.

I don't see how the rest of my list doesn't apply. Browsers can't
interpret them so you must generate to something they can offline.

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM, Bryan Bennett <bbenne10_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> So you're saying that this is better than Coffeescript? That
> comparison is completely unintelligible.If you're saying that we
> should step back and return to a simpler approach to web
> design/development - I completely agree, but how does a static site
> generator compare to Coffeescript/LESS/Jade at all? You could very
> well extend this to work with all of those technologies.

I didn't say that Coffeescript/LESS/Jade directly relate to this
project, that was my bit of ranting tacked on :o) These layers come
and go so quickly while HTML/Javascript/CSS continue to exist. I'm
sure in the month from now we'll see another CSS generator and another
Javascript code generator. That is the trend I'm sick of seeing.

I know Javascript and CSS very well. I don't need some stupid layer
on top of that. If I need to recall some standard methods in my code,
I'll use snippets in vim for that.