Re: [dev] Project Oberon

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:18:45 +0100

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 12:51:26 +0100
Paul Onyschuk <blink_AT_bojary.koba.pl> wrote:

> I'm not completely sure if it's in interest of this mailing list, but
> underlying philosophy isn't far away from that of suckless community.
> Hope I don't upset anyone too much by posting this, on the other hand
> maybe someone will find it useful.

Hey Paul,

I honeslty never heard of Project Oberon and I now read into the topic
a bit more to find out. What bugs me is the fact Oberon is an object
oriented programming language.
This concept has already been discussed a lot on this ML and even
though I can't speak for everyone, I prefer using procedural ones.
However, considering how little time I spent reading into the language,
I'm open for corrections.

Now, looking at the Oberon Operating System, there definitely are some
similarities.
However, and that's where I see the big problem, this system doesn't
comply with the set of common POSIX-standards and thus would require
huge changes or even complete rewrites of basic software we use every
day.
I don't say every free operating system should be unix-like (hell, I'm
open for new concepts!), but it sure makes it a hell lot easier to run
a big set of software on it with relatively little work.

What are your plans in this regard?

Cheers

FRIGN

--