Re: [dev] Why do you use tmux/screen?

From: Raphaël Proust <raphlalou_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 13:00:23 +0100

On 1 July 2014 12:44, hiro <23hiro_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd rather have the window manager manage all those persistent shell sessions.
> But tmux is such a beast that most people use is as their window
> manager in a window manager as well.

At some point, I use to run a vim inside a tmux inside a window. It
turned out to be super annoying because all the shortcuts to move the
windows, splits, and views ended up being very similar and got mixed
up from time to time.

It was ridiculous. Really.

> It's a bit kafkaesque to run a
> seperate tmux for each shell you open, but those other detach
> alternatives don't seem to work as reliable as tmux.

I now use dtach for persistent sessions (mostly irc and torrent
clients) and don't encounter any problems. It does not provide scroll
back nor copypaste but I don't generally need those.

I use a window manager (and sometime, yes, several terminals, each
with a remote shell).

When I really need scrollback or copy-paste, I use dvtm. (Or when I
run on a machine that is so bad that all I want is a full-screen
terminal and nothing else.)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Proust