Re: [dev] Why do you use tmux/screen?

From: Teodoro Santoni <asbrasbra_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 15:11:19 +0200

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 03:48:48AM +0300, Dimitris Zervas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After a year or so in the list, I think each and every one is using tmux or screen (I think more tmux, but do not start a war please, that's not the subject).
> Why is that? For the tabs?
> Why not use tabbed? or DWM's mono-view (how is it called when you see only 1 window?)?

I'm using tmux for trivial things (torrent console daemon) I don't want to have
in my window list, or when I'm experimenting things in shell and console
applications. Tmux helps me in avoid thinking where things are opened and
thinking on the task I'm performing.
Being an avid mouse user, it's very straightforward to use even without
sessions. It's easier and takes less ram than using tabbed+st+dvtm+abduco (or a
grouping wm+st+dvtm+abduco), ps -ef and job control (?) to know where and what
I've opened inside the environment (the last time I checked it was like so.
Probably now this assertion may be not true)... I can't
say but probably takes less ram than urxvt with tabs, too.
I sometime need to automate the environment, and tmux is able to send commands
in vim -remote, elinks -remote and something else -remote fashion directly from
a shell, it's easier than take note of every external pipe of every dvtm or
make shellscripts to be launched by every instance of st i should need when I launch
the whole thing... Even if I don't usually have nothing of important to do,
even requiring to switch between console wins, it's not a good reason to
rebuild tmux or screen as a clash of shellscripts.

> Apart from that, if it is really useful, how does it work? I searched a bit the web and I only found some keybindings, but not how the thing works.

A standard tmux should present you to a classic terminal emulator window but
with a status line at the bottom. There you can read the hour and have every
tab of tmux remembered (with mouse enabled you can use these labels for the
tabs like every tab selector in this world). The classic control keybind is ^B.
It works like the apps you loved in your Lisp Machine: ^something (Ctrl +
something), then something else.
^B and c spawns another tab, ^B and ? takes you to a page of all the keybinds
configured in tmux, ^B and : is like typing : in vi under normal mode (verbose
commands to be sent to tmux), ^B and x closes a tile or a tab, asking if you're
sure about that, ^B and " splits vertically the window, ^B and % splits
horizontally the window.
If you wish to, I can spam you with some links for tips in configuring tmux, to
know how that thing works type man tmux after installation or search on youtube
for screencasts of tmux.

--
Teodoro Santoni
Tel. 3312457594