Re: [dev] Graphics library that sucks the least?...

From: Calvin Morrison <mutantturkey_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 16:34:26 -0400

On 7 July 2014 16:25, Lee Fallat <ircsurfer33_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Does anyone know of a graphics library that supports a text and menu
> widget, simple layout system and is easily portable to any OS? I was
> thinking of maybe just creating something like this myself because
> it's so specific, but I'd like to see if there's anything like that
> around. The closest thing that comes to mind is the plan9port libdraw,
> and a suckless library someone was making for Wayland/X. Ideally I
> just need something that can be easily ported if the need be. There's
> also the fact that Wayland is getting an X driver, so portability is a
> small issue when using something like Xlib. The issue then would be
> too many layers of abstraction. Lets say I decided to use libdraw,
> I'll essentially be doing something like this in the future: libdraw
> -> X -> Wayland, unless libdraw is ported to Wayland too- then
> everyone wins. Support for Windows is another can of worms that we can
> leave shut for now, unless someone would like to do the honors...
>
> Thank you,
>
> Lee
>
> P.S. C with Tcl/Tk seems to be a nightmare.

There was at one time a suckless widget system in the works, I don't
know what happened to that. What about leveraging other software like
xdialog to do what you need?

in terms of code, GTK sucks, but GTK has a C API so it in my mind
beats Qt and isn't much of a hassle to use , and is more portable than
writing directly on top of xlib or what have you.

What about curses or ncurses or whatever is popular these days in
terms of textual interfaces?

Calvin