Re: [dev] SGI Irix look (4Dwm)

From: Andrew Gwozdziewycz <web_AT_apgwoz.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 20:11:28 -0400

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Alexander Huemer
<alexander.huemer_AT_xx.vu> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 12:14:32AM +0000, orangeprince_AT_hushmail.com wrote:
>> If anything, Apple's dominance has made people familiar with the Unix
>> command-line, which is certainly better than had they been using
>> Windows.
>
> Oh. Where does this come from?

Direct observation. Go to any conference (I've only been to
conferences in the US, so YMMV), or Meetup, and witness the number of
glowing Apples staring back at you.
Ask any of my friends / coworkers who were GNU/Linux users who now use
an Mac and carry an iPhone in their pocket. Ask any "startup" who
deploys to the "cloud" or to racked GNU/Linux machines what their
developers develop their software on. It's likely named after a fruit.

My last job advertised in the job description: "Whatever setup you
want! We default to a Mac laptop and a giant monitor." I asked for a
Thinkpad, cause I knew the recruiter had one, and was provisioned a
Mac. They're solution to my desire to run a Linux distro? Use
virtualization -- That's a shitty option if I want to use X + dwm
though.

> People are steered away from the commandline through Apples efforts.

Most of the people I know on Apple machines still use the command
line... And, they install stuff with Homebrew (http://brew.sh), and
they use iTerm2 (http://iterm2.com)...

> Or do you have some concrete example I do not grasp at the moment?
> At least the people I know who are using OSX do not even know what a
> terminal emulator is, let alone that there is one on their machines.

Out of curiosity, where do you live? In NYC, you'll see coffeeshops
filled with people on a Mac that have no idea what a terminal emulator
is, but any of the developers in that same coffeeshop, will still be
on a Mac.

> When they look at my desktop they say things like
>
> Oh, it's broken. Do you think you can fix it? You are a nerd,
> right?

Eh. I'm guessing even some developers would say the same thing. They'd
understand that you have terminal emulators open, but would be
confused as to why there are no decorations around windows, or no task
bar, or system tray, or any of the other things that modern, "usable"
desktop UIs tell us we should have.

--
http://apgwoz.com