Re: [dev] rebooting the web (it was: surf rewrite for WebKit2GTK)

From: Alexandre Niveau <alexandre.niveau_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 20:04:58 +0100

On 31/10/2014 16:48, FRIGN wrote:
> To put it simply, what has the W3C been doing all these past years?
> Right! Stacking more and more stuff on top of what was there. However,
> writing (X)HTML hasn't become simpler in any way!
> Or who can possibly remember this every time he writes a new page:
>
> <?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
> <?xml-stylesheet type='text/css' href='style.css' ?>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN' 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd'>

I'm probably missing something here, but specifically the HTML
boilerplate *did* become drastically simpler in the last few years.
Now [1] an HTML5 page is just supposed to be:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>
        <title>Page title</title>
</head>

And that's actually the full version; thanks to tag omission [2], the
following is equivalent and also completely valid:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<title>Page title</title>

I'd say it's hard to suck less than that as far as HTML goes…

Also it's worth noting that while it's still recommended to keep the
meta charset tag in there, using any encoding other than UTF-8 is
invalid HTML5 [3].

I believe that all these simplifications do not break backwards
compatibility too much (that's the whole point), but I'm not certain.
Maybe that's the reason why you still have to use XHTML?

Regards,

        A.N.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/semantics.html#semantics
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/syntax.html#syntax-tag-omission