Re: [dev] why avoid install?

From: pancake <pancake_AT_youterm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 23:01:50 +0100

install does this in a shot, using 'cp' is just a 20% of what install does:

rm -> to ensure that the file is not being used
mkdir
cp
chmod
chown

the rm part is important, because otherwise the cp may fail if the
prorgam is running.

also, a useful install target ihave in some programs of me is doing a
"symstall",
which does ln -fs instead of cp. that is useful when you dont want to
run 'make install'
every time you build. i know thats insecure and that the files can only
be used by
the current user and root, but it can be also installed on a different
path. but i
this this is not a problem for suckless software and probably not
interesting to have
it in that slinstall thing