Re: [dev] Operating system choice

From: Charles Thorley <charles_AT_thorley.us>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 18:25:13 -0800

Greetings to the Suckless community. Thanks for all the awesome
software.

I find Minix3 to be extremely interesting, and attractive (at least in
principle). A kernel that's only a few thousand (I think I heard 12
last?) LOC sounds like "do one thing and do it well" taken to an
extreme. I realize that there is substantially more to the OS outside of
that kernel, but my understanding is that the total size is still quite
modest compared to most codebases that represent the same general scope
of functionality.

It's surprising to me that Minix 3 appears to be, by way of googling
'site:lists.suckless.org minix', almost completely ignored by this
mailing list. This thread brought that curiosity to my attention once
again. I wonder if anyone would be willing to shed some light on this
apparent discrepancy, even if it's only to correct my misunderstanding.

Many thanks,

Charles