Re: [dev] Operating system choice

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 21:34:56 -0500

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014, at 09:25 PM, Charles Thorley wrote:
> It's surprising to me that Minix 3 appears to be, by way of googling
> 'site:lists.suckless.org minix', almost completely ignored by this
> mailing list. This thread brought that curiosity to my attention once
> again. I wonder if anyone would be willing to shed some light on this
> apparent discrepancy, even if it's only to correct my misunderstanding.

Well I am a member of this mailing list, and I am very interested in
Minix. I find it too immature to be "usable" at this point, but it is
fascinating. For example it has very limited hardware support. I
fervently hope that it does really well. I have made some very very
minor contributions to the Minix wiki and I've run it in a virtual
machine. Note that when it is fully mature it will be a NetBSD clone
but with a very reliable and fault-tolerant core of the operating
system.

Speaking of NetBSD, I really like the concept of the NetBSD packaging
system (pkgsrc) as one packaging system for all the Unix-like operating
systems. I don't know if it's implemented in a suckless way, but I
don't like all the duplication of effort of the very many packaging
systems out there.

These are my own opinions only.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Email service worth paying for. Try it for free