Re: [dev] Suckless web rendering engine

From: FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2015 19:22:33 +0100

On Sun, 15 Feb 2015 10:13:12 -0800
Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

Hey Eric,

> Is such a thing even possible? I can't imagine there being a web
> rendering engine that this community would consider suckless that would
> also be useful for day-to-day web browsing.

yes, you are going the right direction.
We actually discussed this a lot on IRC and came to the conclusion, that
surf is the approach to provide a suckless interface to a sucky base.
The web sucks. And there's no way you can write a suckless rendering
engine.
I bet you can even prove this mathematically.

If a "Standards consortium" releases a new 1000-page-standard every year
where only big companies in a combined effort can develop implementations
of, then there's something wrong with the standards, not the rendering
engines.
Even though webkit sucks a lot in many ways, there's simply no other way
to write a _usable_ interface to the web.

There are other areas where you can make a change. It's not looking like
the web is going to improve in the next couple of years.

Cheers

FRIGN

--
FRIGN <dev_AT_frign.de>