Re: [dev] st: selecting text affects both primary and clipbaord

From: <random832_AT_fastmail.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:50:26 -0500

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 12:38, stanio_AT_cs.tu-berlin.de wrote:
> * k0ga_AT_shike2.com 2015-02-20 17:39
> > I agree here, it shouldn't modiy the CLIPBOARD seletction. Sometime
> > is good to have different things in both selections. If nobady claims
> > about it I will apply your patch.
>
> I'd leave it as is, in order not to break scrips which expect to read
> something from CLIPBOARD.
>
> In other programms, you might have the choice to send something to
> selection or CLIPBOARD by different means. In st, however, you don't.
> Thus, the current behaviour seems to me more consistent and intuitive.

Another reason to leave it as-is is that, while in other applications it
is reasonable to select text for some purpose other than copying it
(e.g. to delete it or replace it), people will not want their clipboard
obliterated in this case. However, in a terminal emulator, the only
thing you can do with selected text is copy it.

PuTTY on MS Windows puts selected text immediately in the clipboard and
apparently no-one has ever objected to this behavior - if anyone had I'm
sure they would have added it to the dozens of configurable options it
already has.