Re: [dev] st: selecting text affects both primary and clipbaord

From: Greg Reagle <greg.reagle_AT_umbc.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 14:06:23 -0500

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015, at 01:50 PM, random832_AT_fastmail.us wrote:
> Another reason to leave it as-is is that, while in other applications it
> is reasonable to select text for some purpose other than copying it
> (e.g. to delete it or replace it), people will not want their clipboard
> obliterated in this case. However, in a terminal emulator, the only
> thing you can do with selected text is copy it.

It is true that the only reason I select text in st is to copy it, but I
still don't want it clobbering my clipboard. The only reason I select
text in xterm is to copy it, and I appreciate that doing so only affects
the primary selection. That is the way well behaved X applications are
supposed to work.

> PuTTY on MS Windows puts selected text immediately in the clipboard and
> apparently no-one has ever objected to this behavior - if anyone had I'm
> sure they would have added it to the dozens of configurable options it
> already has.

Putty on MS Windows is not an X application. As far as I know, Windows
has only one selection (to use the X terminology): the clipboard. So I
don't see the point of comparing it.

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Access all of your messages and folders
                          wherever you are