Re: [dev] [sbase][patch] add [ alias to test, makefile cleanup

From: Evan Gates <evan.gates_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 16:11:48 -0800

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Nick <suckless-dev_AT_njw.me.uk> wrote:
> Quoth Evan Gates:
>> sbase-use_pe.diff : use parameter expansion instead of basename when
>> building sbase-box. simpler, shorter, no extra processes
>
> I don't like this. The sbase Makefile is a really standard, basic,
> make at the moment (almost completely within the OpenGroup makefile
> spec), and AFAIK builds basically everywhere as a result. Parameter
> expansion is something I think of as a bashism, and I doubt is
> available everywhere. To my eyes it's uglier too. Spawning an extra
> process to call basename is less important than readability, though
> of course to an extent that's in the eye of the beholder.

This is POSIX http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/V3_chap02.html#tag_18_06_02

I think (although I could be wrong) that it's safe to assume we'll be
using a POSIX compliant sh (for loops, redirections, etc.). As for
pretty vs ugly, I prefer the parameter expansion but that's purely
opinion and based on the amount of time I spend in the shell and
writing shell scripts.

-emg