Re: [dev][dwm] Systray and hipchat

From: Eric Pruitt <eric.pruitt_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 16:55:22 -0700

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 11:09:00PM +0300, Yury Shvedov wrote:
> Lol! This is the solution too but it is really kludge and I think
> you gave up too early. I solved up the issue with hipchat. I found
> out that hipchat unmapping its icon right after creation. From the
> unmap_notify() function at stalontray/src/main.c:665
>
> /* KLUDGE! sometimes icons occasionally
> * unmap their windows, but do _not_ destroy
> * them. We map those windows back */
> XMapRaised(tray_data.dpy, ti->wid);
>
> This is the kludge too, but it is the only known way to handle such
> buggy applications.
> So, we solve two of three problems with dwm's systray. I'll check
> last one tomorrow.

Did you actually try implementing the kludge? I attempting to do so in a
couple of ways, and in the best case scenario, I got a space in the tray
where the icon should be, and although I could click it and have HipChat
vanish and re-appear, there was no actual icon shown. I tried running
HipChat with stalonetray, and there was no icon. I did the same with
trayer, and a thin black line appeared where the icon should be, but as
with my attempt to implement stalonetray's kludge, there was no picture.
Searching a bit, I came across this long-standing issue on the HipChat
tracker:
http://help.hipchat.com/forums/138883-suggestions-ideas/suggestions/4013212-linux-client-is-missing-notification-area-icon

Eric