Re: [dev] surf release?

From: 7heo <7heo_AT_mail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 17:34:28 +0200

I personally understand your problem (I shortly contributed to alpine and had to report problems upstream, and I was more than glad when they accepted to merge my patches upstream, so I hear you), but I still think that arbitrary versions are the wrong approach. Arbitrary versions exist only so marketing departments all over the world can charge customers for a "new" product. Developers work with version-control systems, which aren't using anything close to arbitrary, semantically.

So yeah, it would solve your problem in the short term, but it would also encourage bad practices, which is a real problem on the long run.

Let's drop versions. Especially in the case of suckless, where software configuration is achieved via compilation, and thus where packages are counter productive.

So TL;DR: it's not hard, it's just wrong.