Re: [dev] paste_AT_

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 23:09:11 +0100

Christoph Lohmann wrote:
> the web has grown to be a big pastebin of URIs and short‐living content. One
> good example for this are paste services which don’t guarantee anything. I
> came to the idea of having a paste mailinglist: All history is stored, nothing
> will vanish and it’s easy to reference to pastes in history.
>
> What do you think of that idea?

Heyho Christoph,

I actually don't think mail is the right interface. For mail the headers are
stored permanently in the archive while for http they are only used temporarily
during up- or download of a paste. Also often times mail has to traverse
multiple servers, while for http you can comminicate with the archive directly.

Storing the creation-time can be done with file attributes for a http-based
service. I don't think authorship information is that relevant in the given
context, but if you insist, you would have to implement another kind of backend
storage for that, if the service is to be http based.

For the http service you can also set it up to never delete anything and
referencing to the pastes is quite similar to the mailinglist approach. Do you
have any other points which might be easier to achieve with mail than with http?

Of course you can also use gopher instead of http. ;)

--Markus