Re: [dev] sent-0.1 or libxft bug

From: Markus Teich <markus.teich_AT_stusta.mhn.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 01:40:34 +0100

Heyho,

v4hn wrote:
> > and what you think was causing it.
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 01:34:30AM +0300, ret set wrote:
> >> Subject: [dev] sent-0.1 or libxft bug
> >> [...]
> >> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> >> 0x00007ffff7529980 in XftCharExists () from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXft.so.2

Yeah right, so we just have to put a `if (addr == 0x00007ffff7529980)` check in
there to fix it… (that was sarcasm)

> I do think the current behavior w.r.t. long lines or long paragraphs could be
> improved though.
>
> Over here using the latest HEAD ret set's example yields a slide with *one*
> rather small "A" at the top center. Also I just noticed that `./sent <(python
> -c 'print "A"*4000')` (might vary with screen size/available fonts?) gives me
> a number of rather big As partially overlaying each other, whereas `./sent
> <(python -c 'print "A"*400')` works pretty much as expected: the line is too
> long for the screen with a reasonable font size, so a long string of rather
> small As is printed from side to side.

You are welcome to work on this, but huge patches just to fix non-usecases would
not be helpful and be rejected. However if the fix is simple enough, I would
merge it.

The font sizes are calculated with the formula given in config.h so you can
adjust them to your screen size/resolution and font settings. You should make
sure the biggest Font size fits the usableheight of your screen (Just one 'A'
and see, if it gets bigger when you increase NUMFONTSCALES) and the smallest one
should fill the longest line in the usablewidth and also the slide with the most
lines vertically (If these two test cases are not rendered within the usable
space of your screen, then you have to modify the FONTSZ function to start at
even smaller font sizes).

The default values work well for me with a 1366x768 screen and the default
dejavu font. On my larger 2560x1440 screen the largest fontsize produced by
FONTSZ is too small, so I just increased NUMFONTSCALES accordingly.

--Markus