[dev] Re: Mailing lists sucks.

From: Black Rider <softwareworks_AT_use.startmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 10:29:02 +0000 (UTC)

El Sat, 12 Dec 2015 22:13:06 +0100, hiro escribió:

> Anyways, I agree with you that mail isn't perfect, I don't know what big
> difference NNTP makes though.

I prefer NNTP for the following reasons:

You don't have to send subscribe or unsubscribe messages. If you want to
access the archives, you just connect and download the messages you want.

In a regular mailing list, you are sent 100% of the traffic the mailing
list gets. That is bad news for your INBOX storage limits. You can use
smart filtering and scheduled INBOX cleanup, but the fact you are using
tools for solving a problem is proof that a problem is there.

That said, I use the gmane NNTP service and I have not used a true
mailing list in years.