Re: [dev] C package manager-ish

From: Louis Santillan <lpsantil_AT_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:10:50 -0800

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Adrian Grigore
<adrian.emil.grigore_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to know what's your general opinion on https://github.com/clibs/clib.

I take issue with some of the libs included, especially tj's [0].
He's also the creator of clibs, a noted contributor to nodejs (among
other things), so I would have expected him to respect licensing &
upstream contributions better.

Overall, it's a kind of a nodejs/npm approach to C (dozens small
modules glued together to make an app). The small part may sound like
suckless, but I find it to be less collaborative, fewer abrasive
personalities, less rigorous, and less cohesive of development process
than what suckless philosophy tends to promote. IMO,
nodejs/npm/modern JS has a high noise to signal ratio (dozens to
hundreds of modules to do the same thing that are all incompatible and
inconsistent) while suckless is happier to produce fewer but higher
quality lines of code (and removal of code is of even higher value).

[0] https://github.com/clibs/jsmn/commit/8ef1413ada1b963795f15c6264aa487c95ed0779