Re: [dev] C package manager-ish

From: Mattias Andrée <maandree_AT_kth.se>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 18:45:30 +0100

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 09:10:50 -0800
Louis Santillan <lpsantil_AT_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 2:20 AM, Adrian Grigore
> <adrian.emil.grigore_AT_gmail.com> wrote:
> > I wanted to know what's your general opinion on
> > https://github.com/clibs/clib.
>
> I take issue with some of the libs included, especially
> tj's [0]. He's also the creator of clibs, a noted
> contributor to nodejs (among other things), so I would
> have expected him to respect licensing & upstream
> contributions better.

I too take issue with some of the libs. Feels like
some of them has been implemented out of vanity
(and have been implemented halfassed.)

> Overall, it's a kind of a nodejs/npm approach to C
> (dozens small modules glued together to make an app).

I concur. Approaching C like this is a bad idea.
It also feels like they are aware that breaking up
libraries into a set of one-function libraries has
benefits in JavaScript, because they do not have to
download a huge library for only a few functions.
But when it is not over a network, this is not longer
an advantage, instead you are complicating dependency
management.

JavaScript may need a package manager because why
might not find the libraries in your distro's package
manager, but you will find C libraries, if you don't
you should add it.

Their community consists mostly of Web people, so
it none of this should be surprising; except the
existence of the project itself. (You will even find
HTML in license files.)

> The small part may sound like suckless, but I find it to

It should be noted that suckless is not about small
software packages (with no reduction in the total
size of all package), it is about simple (and clear
and frugal) software. There is nothing in the philosophy
saying that libraries should be split into pieces.

> be less collaborative, fewer abrasive personalities, less
> rigorous, and less cohesive of development process than
> what suckless philosophy tends to promote. IMO,
> nodejs/npm/modern JS has a high noise to signal ratio

Really, their community made something called
"Modern JavaScript"? How vain and arrogant.